I am always looking for different ways to stay healthy and the easiest way to accomplish this is by choosing fresh, organic (if possible) and nutrient rich options when it comes to food. You often hear how important it is to eat your fruits and vegetables, but recent research has shown that a certain super vegetable can provide many unexpected and positive health benefits. That food is broccoli, one of the least liked of all vegetables (or so it seems). We all know that broccoli is high in fiber, iron and other vitamins such as Vitamins A, B, C, and K.
In short, broccoli is extremely healthy for you and has many hidden benefits that other vegetables do not have. And broccoli has long been known for its’ cancer fighting power.
Below, Beth Gilbert, M.D., lists seven more key benefits broccoli provides older adults:
1) Improves immunity with its high vitamin C content.
2) Can help fight depression, containing the mood boosting B vitamin folate.
3) Enhances bone health as a result of high calcium content.
4) Rich in potassium, broccoli can help neutralize your sodium levels.
5) Broccoli can offer some protection against heart disease and stroke.
6) Broccoli improves digestion.
7) Broccoli contains lutein, which is important for eye health. Studies have shown that lutein helps prevent age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
For those of you who aren’t very fond of plain broccoli, there are many ways you can add flavor to the vegetable without decreasing its nutritional value. Add broccoli to a whole wheat pasta dish with some chicken for added protein or sprinkle reduced-fat parmesan cheese over steamed broccoli for added flavor.
To read more, click here: http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/build-a-better-body-with-broccoli.aspx?xid=fb_EH_20111212_broccoli